Frequently Asked Questions
1) Can you train my family pet to be my service dog?
- No. We do not train dogs outside of our breeding program anymore. We used to but we feel that breeding dogs specifically for this type of placement is the most successful way to pair a service dog with a handler.
2) I don't want a golden retriever as my service dog for the following reasons (allergic to dogs, want smaller dog, want a different breed)
- We can't help you with another breed choice. We only breed golden retrievers at this time.
3) How much do program dogs cost?
- Program dogs cost 20,000. This includes puppy purchase, vaccinations, training until 24 months of age, spay/neuter, food while the dog is with us, basic service dog vest, Hip x-rays graded by OFA. We only do a few of these dogs each year.
4) How much to puppies cost?
- Puppies cost $2500 (price subject to change at any time) which includes first vaccination, microchip, registration if applicable and temperament testing. Puppies are temperament tested around 7 weeks and this is when picks are made and puppies are matched to appropriate homes. Puppies go home at 8 weeks old with a bag of food (pro plan puppy), copies of the parents health certifications, pedigree, hard copy of temperament test results and contract.
5) What if I want to owner train?
- Owner training is where a handler wants to do all or most of the training without the help of a professional trainer which is perfectly legal in Ontario. We have many packages of additional training that can be purchased to get you off on the right foot with your service dog prospect.
6) What if I want a family pet from your breeding program?
- Every litter we allocate half of the puppies to pet homes. Its impossible for us wait until the puppies are temperament tested to match them with jobs, so we always plan to pick half of the litter to have jobs. That way only the best dogs can go on to the next phase of important training. If you are looking for a pet puppy please read below about how to apply. Pet puppies can also take advantage of additional training before going home.
7) How do I apply for a pet puppy? service dog puppy? program dog?
- We don't keep waiting lists for our litters. Instead we open applications once puppies are actually arrive on the earth. Under the AVAILABLE DOGS tab you will be able to see our next planned litters. Keep track of the due date and follow us on instagram/facebook. We will announce that we have a number of puppies and that we are accepting applications. At that time you can come back to the website and visit the APPLICATIONS tab (this tab is hidden in navigation unless we are accepting applications). Fill out the application and you will hear from us within the week. We match our puppies to the right homes we fell they will do best in not in order of applications received.
8) Can you certify my service dog?
- No. Legally there is no certification required for service dogs in Ontario.
9) Can you train an emotional support animal?
- No. We do not train emotional support animals. We can train a nice family pet for you or a service dog but legally emotional support animals do not exist in Ontario and we do not give letters for you to take your non service dog on a plane or to another country.
10) What types of service dogs do you train?
- We have experience with or are willing to help with almost everything. We don't train any heavy or moderate guide work (light guide work is ok), we don't train any diabetic or any other scent alert based service dogs. We don't train any heavy mobility tasks as our dogs usually are not large enough for that but light to moderate mobility is fine depending on the size of the handler. For more detailed information visit the TRAINED SERVICE DOGS tab.